Last tuesday night, I went to a friends house for dinner. Megan from my ward had served her mission in Korea and had prepared a Korean meal for a group of us. Most of you know that when it comes to food, I'm pretty picky. I try to at least try a small bite of everything because I don't want to be rude. Trust me I have tried some pretty interesting dishes. So when I went to this dinner, I didnt expect to eat very much. I was pleasantly surprised! The food was delicious. I wish I could remember the names of the dishes she made....sorry. I'm not gonna lie, I was so proud of myself! Look at me. Living on the edge.Trying new foods. I'm pretty extreme these days :) I'll admit I did steer clear of the seaweed paper things...I already know that I dont like it from my experience of trying sushi. Not a fan...
After dinner my friend Jessica was teaching a Yoga class for Fit for the Kingdom...I wasn't going to go because I had a paper to write, but since I was living on the edge that night, I decided to procrastinate...crazy I know! haha
From past experiences I really disliked Yoga. I always felt like it was impossible and that I was the only person that couldn't touch her nose to her toes. But this time was so fun...and relaxing...and just wonderful. I was actually really good at it and I felt so relaxed when I came home. I was able to finish my paper with ease...funny how that works...
Tuesday was also my roommate Maddy's birthday. She is Miss Popular so I didn't see her until late that night. I made her a peanut butter pie for her birthday...and she liked it :) Did I ever mention how much I like my roommate?
On wednesday, I went to Zumba...which I loved! I had missed it the week before due to exhaustion, so I was happy to be back! We even danced to new songs which is always fun. Before Zumba was a nutrition seminar. It reminded me of all my health science classes at BYU-Idaho...I sure do miss that place sometimes!
On thursday, I was excited all day for the ward activity. We went to a corn maze. I love corn mazes! It's just such a "fall" activity. And I like fall. After we walked through the maze, a few of us watched the cartoon version of sleepy hollow. You know the one with the song about "katrina". I hadn't seen that movie in years! Its funny how different it is when you watch it as an adult. The characters actually develop and are nothing like I thought they were when I was a kid...
Our ward served freshly made scones with honey butter and apple cider. I was having a blast! That was when I decided to go down the slide....
This slide is a black tube located on top of a maze of hay bales. The hay bales have holes throughout the maze so they warn you to be careful...I decided to be "safe" and just climb on the outside to the top where the slide was. At the bottom of the slide were two mattresses and a spongey foam board wall which stood upright to keep people from flying off into the cars because the slide was pretty steep. I should have known better...I mean the entrance of the slide had a 8-10 ft drop so you had to literally climb into the slide! Once I hit the mattresses my feet rolled underneath my legs and I felt a sharp pain. Then I realized that I couldn't get up. I was SO embarrassed. I had to be carried to the car (I had car pooled thank goodness) and driven home. The girls who drove me helped me into my house (which fortunately i left unlocked...something i NEVER do..) and two boys from the ward came to give me a blessing which seriously helped me feel better. Oh and my roommate Maddy bought me icecream so that helped too :) . I thought it was a sprained ankle because the pain was in my ankle and it was really swollen...
Me with friends in the corn maze :)
Not the best picture...but you get an idea of what the slide looked like...
Me standing at the top of the hay....notice that piece of wood by my foot ...that is where the 10 ft drop is...
I successfully climbed into the slide without falling...and then I broke my leg at the bottom of the slide...
The next day I called my parents and they both urged me to go to the doctor to get x-rays...so I did. And that was when I found out that my leg (fibula) was broken...in two places. Don't worry...i didn't cry until i got home. I was afraid of being in Utah and in my apartment alone all weekend (My roommates sister was in town so she was with her family).
Luckily, I have the best family ever! Katrina and Casey and little Carson came saturday morning and spent the weekend with me. We watched conference and geeked out together about the age change for missionaries :) Casey and Katrina cooked for me and helped me with odd things around the apartment. On sunday, Colton and Mary came to help out too. Mary made lunch AND dinner. We made delicious caramel apples and after katrina and casey left, mary and colton stayed and played games with me. So fun. Colton helped vacuum and sweep my apartment and Mary did all the dishes.
Me and my caramel apple...and my crutches :)
The best way to eat a caramel apple....
I also have a really great ward! I've had three visitors since I broke my leg. Tina came over and brought me oreos. Tasha came over and brought me a rose (which is the best smelling rose ever) and Jessica came over and brought me brownies. And that's not counting the plethora of get well texts and phone calls i've recieved. My bishop called me a few times just to see how I was doing. I've had multiple people tell me that they would be willing to help give me rides or grocery shop for me...I am literally overwhelmed by their kindness!!!
So when I found out my leg was broken, I had a personal pity party and then I decided to just forget it. I'm not a negative person and I don,t want to be. Last night when I was reading my scriptures I read Ether 12:27
27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their aweakness. I bgive unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my cgrace is sufficient for all men that dhumble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make eweak things become strong unto them.
I feel like this explains my life at the moment completely. I need to overcome my pride and get over the fact that my leg is broken. In retrospect it's a pretty small trial compared to all the blessings I have received lately...
I have decided to not let this "trial" get the best of me. I went back to work today and I went to FHE (my relief society organized for someone to drop me off and pick me up) and I've been practicing using the crutches. I think i've got the hang of it. I've also got a bit of my daily routine figured out...like showering, dressing, making food, and getting in and out of a car.
Tomorrow I go to the Orthopedics office to see if I need surgery or a cast and what not...I'm really hoping this is a quick recovery...but we shall see...
But just so you all know, I am doing fine! My leg may be broken but my spirit isn't. I am so thankful for the love and support I have received and I just want you all to know that every comment on facebook..every text...every phone call has meant the world to me...so thanks!
No comments:
Post a Comment