SO...Newlywed life....
Over labor day weekend, the Hazen clan traveled to Ohio for our (Sam and Mine) Ohio Reception. We had a little hiccup with out travel plans due to a problem with our plane. Luckily, we were able to find a flight leaving later that day that could still seat all 8 of us. It was kind of fun spending time with my new family in the airport. It was a good bonding experience.
I LOVED visiting Ohio with Sam. I got to show him around to some of my favorite places. He got to see special places that helped make me into the girl I am today. We also got to spend plenty of time with my nieces and nephew who made us feel SO welcome. I think they were more excited to see Sam though...whenever they saw me alone, they would ask where Sam was and try to find him. :) It was so cute watching Sam bond with each of the kids. At one point, Sam was cuddled up with my niece Noelle (the baby) while watching a football game on his phone. He was trying to teach her to say "Oklahoma stinks" or something like that. It was so cute.
Our Ohio reception was so fun. I loved seeing family that came in from out of state and seeing so many people that I knew growing up. My mom did such a great job with the reception. The food was delicious and I enjoyed dancing. I always do. :)
I introduced Sam to Graeters! And of course he loved it because how can he not?
I love this handsome man.
Horseback riding with Hannah on an Ohio Night. I love that Hannah and I are related now!
Went on a Nature Walk with my family
We drove past a field of sunflowers and my mom quickly drove to the side of the road and made Sam and I get out for a picture, It was so spontaneous but I'm so glad we did!
My family and I went to Youngs Dairy after our Nature Walk
Sam and I visited my grandmother grave. It was hard not being there for the funeral but it was such a special experience to be there with Sam.
Newlywed life has been bliss. Full of cuddles and kisses. Oh and football :) Sam is a HUGE football fan. We have been to two of his highschool games (oh the nostalgia!) as well as one of the UTSA games where he goes to college. And we watch every. single. University of Texas game (GO LONGHORNS) and then some. Its a whole new world for me. I still dont understand half the rules but Sam is patient with me. And its prime cuddle time :)
At the Westlake Highschool Football game
At the UTSA game
I had my first failed meal a couple of weeks ago. That hasnt happened in awhile. I felt like such a failure. But Sam is so great! He happily exclaimed "yay lets get a pizza!". So we have decided that whenever dinner doesnt turn out, its pizza night.
At the end of september, my friend Patrick came to visit me in San Antonio. I loved seeing him and was so excited to introduce him to Sam. Fun fact: Patrick has visited me everywhere I have lived since we were at BYUI together. He is such a great friend. So it made me so happy that he and Sam got along so well. As most of you know, Sam is a pretty quiet guy, so i was worried it might be awkward at first, but Patrick is so good at carrying conversations. Im hoping since Patrick lives n Oklahoma now, He and his wife will visit again!
Over General Conference weekend (the first weekend of October) Sam and I drove up to Austin to spend the weekend with his family. His brother Neils and sister-in-law Kelly were also in town so it was a little reunion. On friday night, Sam and I went to another one of his highschool football games. His parents have season tickets (Texas is pretty intense about their highschool football here. I mean their highschool has their own jumbotron!) so they gave us their seats while they volunteered at the concession stand. Which meant great seats AND free snacks. SCORE! :)
On Saturday, we drove over to the Hazen ranch where Sam's parents are building a ranch house. The house is on a hill and has a gorgeous view. AND it's HUGE!! It'll be perfect for all our family reunions. All of us kids picked a room and wrote scriptures on the framing. It was such a fun experience. It was crazy thinking about how this building will hold so many future memories for our family.
The Hazen clan (minus Hattie)
On Saturday night, while the men went to priesthood conference, Connie (my mother-in-law) and Kelly and I had a girls night. We went shopping and visited Sams childhood neighborhood and then went out for crepes. It was fun having some girl time. (We missed Hattie though!) I really enjoyed getting to know Kelly a little better.
Its tradition in Sam's family that Vince (my father-in-law) will polish all the leather shoes in the family. It was funny seeing all the cowboy boots lined up next to one another. I am DEFINITELY in Texas.
Okay, I have to admit, one of my FAVORITE parts of conference weekend was taking a bath in this beauty!!! The tub is so deep! and Connie let me use one of those fancy LUSH bath bombs so the water smelled so sweet and my skin felt so smooth. With the candles lit, and my classical pandora station playing, I was in heaven!
My caseload at work has been pretty inconsistent recently which has caused a lot of stress. I was waiting for my Texas professional license to be issued with my new name and due to some department changes, I had to wait for a little over two months. So while I waited, and my caseload dwindled, Sam started job hunting. At first he was more particular to finding a job that would give him experience for his resume for when he graduates in May, but after weeks of NOTHING, he started applying for just any job to help support our income and to relieve some stress.
Two weeks ago, Sam received an interview with Enterprise for a part time accounting internship. And after a second interview, he received a call that he got the job!!! Its perfect because its part time because they wanted a person who is currently in school and majoring in accounting. And when Sam graduates in may, he can start working full time. Sam started training this week and so far loves the company. And we get a discount on car rentals :) Its been an adjustment having him at work though. I'm so used to having him around all the time (except for when he is gone at his night classes) but since he has been in training, I have only been able to see him about an hour a day. So I've been struggling with loneliness and trying to figure out how to be alone again. After 26 years of being single you think it wouldn't be this hard being "alone". haha
Sam and I are now in a family ward which is fun. I REALLY like our ward. All of the women are so friendly and I feel like I have met so many people. Sam and I have been invited to dinner by a couple of people in the ward already. SO NICE!! They have also kept me pretty involved in the ward by asking me to teach, give women rides to events, and having Sam and I set up the ward temple night this month. Sam and I also got callings. I am an activity days leader (I work with the 8-11 year old girls) and Sam is a Webolos Cub Scout Den Leader.
On Saturday, Sam and I went to our wards "Trunk or Treat". It was combined with another ward so there were A LOT of people there! A lot of which were dressed up which was fun. There were SO many kids that Sam and I ran out of candy pretty fast even though we bought two huge bags of candy. I was impressed with the variety of costumes. There were a lot of original costumes.
Sam and I dressed up as well. After WEEKS of trying to figure out what to wear, Sam and I decided on being Belle and Gaston. We were able to find most of Sams costume at the thrift store and I pulled out the sewing machine Katrina bought me and MADE my costume. That's right....I MADE it. Even I cant believe it!
Belle is my FAVORITE Disney princess, She like books. I like books. We are practically the same person ;)
Belle and Gaston
On Monday, Sam and I went to Cibolo to have dinner wit Elaine and the Kids and to pass out candy while she took her kids trick or treating. A young couple from the ward (who we had dinner with a previous sunday night) helped keep us company as we passed out candy. It was a great way to spend Halloween night. I love Cibolo. Im so grateful Elaine invited us over,
Other Happenings:
After a stressful week, Sam set up a pampering saturday for me. I had breakfast in bed, Sam took me for a nature walk at a local park, took me to lunch at Torchys (We were excited to find one in San Antonio) and then he took me to a book store and bought me books. He know me so well. It was such a perfect day. Later that night, we went to a masquerade party at our friend Liz's house. Sam and I made our masks for a "Family Home Evening" activity. So we were excited to wear them as we watched Phantom of the Opera.
The masks we made.
Wearing the masks we made.
Occasionally Sam will cook me dinner and he has REALLY stepped up his game. From burgers to grilled chicken and homemade bacon mac n cheese. He spoils me.
Maybe marriage is making me crafty? I made a wedding shadow box. And I love it. I never get tired of looking at it.
And that's my life right now. Ups and Downs. But mostly Ups. :) We are blessed and happy.

















No comments:
Post a Comment