So here I am...sitting in the Institute building at Utah
State…waiting…
I just got out of Institute and I don’t want to go home
because
1. I have an
interview at the fun park in an hour and I don’t want to drive home just to
drive back
and 2. My roommate’s mother made the most delicious cookies
and they keep calling my name. Distance is a good thing right now J
So while I wait…I’ll blog J
Most of you have heard by now that I received my Acceptance
to the Master’s program for Speech Pathology at The University of Utah. No one
could have been more surprised that I was. It is really difficult to get into a
speech pathology master’s program anywhere….and The University of Utah has a
really good program…so I was expecting a rejection letter. Especially since it took
them such a long time to get back to me. I mean I have a pretty good GPA and I
did about average on the GRE but I thought that there was no way I would get
accepted unless I went above and beyond. Plus they sent me the letter on April 1st. (April fools day) So at first I thought it may be a joke. A sick joke. It’s definitely a relief to not have
to fill out any more applications or study to take the GRE again J
The Thursday after I received my acceptance letter, my ward
had a ward talent show. I felt guilty for not performing a talent when my FHE
group had a small talent night about a month prior so I signed up. I had
completely forgotten about it until the day of the talent show. I ended up singing “Part of your world” from
the Little Mermaid because I just so happened to know all the words from my nanny-ing days when I would sing it every
day for the little girls I nannied for. Thank
goodness for that or it would have been a little awkward…
That weekend was general conference and a small group from
my ward had signed up to sing in a choir outside the conference center in Salt
Lake City between the Saturday sessions. We sang hymns on the sidewalk trying
to drown out the yells of the protestors. So many people came up to me and
others in the choir thanking us for bringing the spirit and it made me smile as
I watched people of all ages sing along as they walked by. It was truly an
amazing experience!
Me singing in front of the conference center :)
People from my ward :)
Because we were in the choir, we got tickets for the
Saturday afternoon session. So I was lucky enough to enjoy another beautiful
session in the conference center where I could feel the spirit of gathering to
listen to the words and counsel from the Prophet and his apostles.
There were so many wonderful talks! I think my favorite talk
was given by Elder Holland on Sunday Afternoon tilted "Lord, I believe". Here is the link if you want to read it...it's SO good!
I love how he talks about how the Lord will help us to "know" what is true and gain a testimony, as long as we believe as much as we are able and turn to the Lord to help "our non belief".
On Monday, My friends Jessica, Julie, Kim and I started “A
Week of Dates”. We each asked a different guy to go on a date for each day of
the week. It was Jessica’s brilliant idea and she planned most of it.
On Monday, we got together with our dates at my apartment
after FHE and made Fruit Pizzas.
Date 1 Fruit Pizza
On Tuesday, David and I went to his grandmother’s house to
shoot BB guns ( and to shoot a bow and arrow). It was so fun! I was actually
kind of good at it. It was such a creative and fun time. Later that night we
had our “actual” date. All of the couples came over to my house again and we
made pizzas and watched duck dynasty and played Scum ( the card game). I may be
biased but I am pretty sure David and I made the BEST Pizza. It had stuffed
crust and layers of toppings and was cooked to perfection. J
Date 2 Duck Dynasty and Pizza
On Wednesday, I picked my date (Sam) up and we drove to
Logan Canyon where Mike’s cabin happens to be to have a camp fire. Sam and I
got a little lost at first but we had pleasant conversation in the car so it
wasn’t so bad. The campfire was great!
We made smores and roasted starbursts and drank hot chocolate and talked
and talked. The weather was kind of chilly so we all huddled close to the fire
and when we thought the fire was going to go out, my date, Sam, brought it back
to life J
Date 3 Camp fire
Thursday and Friday I couldn't participate in the date
nights because I was going to be out of town…
On Thursday I picked my dad up from the airport and drove
him around Logan. I wanted him to see where I lived and why I love it here so
much. We drove through campus, past the temple, visited my house and where I
work. My dad and I went out for lunch at the Elements YUM! And then we drove to
Rexburg because Katrina (my twin) was graduating from college and she and her
husband needed help cleaning and moving their belongings.
One thing I have to say is that my parents raised me to work
and to work hard. All the lifting and cleaning and scrubbing and packing tired
me out but I never noticed until I stopped working. That night we all went to
dinner at Costa Vida and just enjoyed one another’s company.
On Friday, we finished cleaning and packing and then went to
lunch at Dairy Queen. Katrina and my nephew Carson drove back to Logan with me.
My dad and Casey started their long journey to Ohio. The drive to Logan flew by
because Katrina and I talked the whole way. I forgot how much I love being
around my best friend J
Once we got to Logan, Kat and I got takeout from Elements
and then went back to my place to eat. We gave my nephew a bath, put him to bed
and then watched a movie and ate the chocolates that my dad had brought me from
Ohio.
On Saturday I woke up at 4 am to
drive Katrina and Carson to the airport. It was early but it was worth it to
make sure that they got their safely. I was worried about Katrina because she
had so much luggage…and Carson (who is a CUTIE but also quite a handful) AND
she is SUPER pregnant. So I wanted to be able to help any way I could. The
drive back to Logan was a little rough because I was pretty tired but I made it
back in time to get ready for work. After work, I met up with Jessica and Julie
and our dates for another day of the date week. We had a scavenger hunt. My
date was Brent and neither of us are from cache valley so we tried our best to
find the things on the list. Then we all met back together and had pizza from
Little Caesars. The date was fun…even though I was exhausted. J Brent was a good sport
about it though.
Date 4 Scavenger Hunt
Sunday was the LAST day of the
week of dates. We met up with our dates at ward prayer and drove over to the
Moore’s home to have a game night. We played Disney Scene it J All of us are at the
age where Disney was our childhood, so we all had a really good time. Eric, my
date was pretty boss at answering most of the questions. I was impressed.
Date 5 Game Night
So yeah, the week of dates was fun! The dates were simple and fun and I feel like I got to know a few guys in my ward a little better :)
As far as school goes, this semester is wrapping up. I am signing up for classes for the summer semester so that way ALL the prerequisites are finished before I start the grad program in the fall. No breaks for me! But that's okay.
Oh and I got a Utah Drivers License today...and registered to vote...so now its official :) Utah is my home.





No comments:
Post a Comment