Monday, February 4, 2013

A new kind of Alphabet

Its funny how much time has past since I've last posted on this blog...

To be honest I had completely forgotten about updating this weekly until I watched a TV show where the girl writes in her journal daily. Her dad asked her why she does it and her response was " It all goes by so fast...and this life deserves to be remembered"  I've been thinking about that a lot lately....

I'd like to say that not much in my life has happened since then, but in all honesty that's not true. I went home for Christmas, had a wonderful time with family, came back to Utah , started my new semester of school and I even got a hair cut :)

My work schedule changed so instead of working half a day 5 days a week, I work all day every other day.  My schedule is rotating so one week I'll work M W F and then the next week I'll work T TH Sat.

I was worried at first about how this would affect my finding a second job and taking institute, but so far it hasn't been a problem. I haven't been able to find a second job ( I look and apply for jobs daily!) and I was able to sign up for an Institute class (Doctrines of the Gospel) on Tuesday and Thursday. I talked to  Brother Jacobs and he said that I can take the class on Mondays and Wednesdays as well so that way I can go to institute twice a week...every week :) Its actually kind of cool being in two institute classes because I get to meet new people and hear different perspectives.

As far as my other classes go, this semester so far has proven more difficult than last semester  Last week I had 4 exams. Each exam was over 3-5 chapters. I spent the WHOLE week studying and even then, my grades weren't exactly what I am used to. In fact two of the tests went rather poorly. I was so upset! I tend to get pretty down on myself when I don't do well. (Not one of my best traits....)

On Wednesday, I went to Zumba after taking one of the "bad" tests. It's funny... I was in such a depressed mood when I showed up and then afterward I felt like I could take on the world. It's wonderful what exercise can do for you. Especially dancing :)

On Thursday  after work and then studying all day, my friend Kim invited me to go visiting teaching with her because her VT partner was unavailable. It was definitely just what I needed. To get out of the "study mode" and have a little "social time". Unfortunately I haven't been as good about visiting teaching this month. I talked to all the girls but never really got around to going to their homes, so I'm going to try better this month :)

After I went visiting teaching with Kim, she and I went to a PSYCH party at Eric's house. We watched episodes of psych and drank pineapple smoothies(and strawberry for those who don't like pineapple *cough*  KIM *cough*). YUM!

And then Kim and I went back to her house and just talked about anything and everything...which is one of my favorite things to do...
usually I'm a listener...unless I know the person really well...and then I enjoy a good conversation :)

On Saturday after work, My friend Julie and I went to a Jump Rope ( competition? show? thing?) I'm not really sure what to call it....but it was SO cool! I feel like I've missed out on one of my callings in life. Who knew jump roping could be such an art and be so fun at the same time?

Then later after Kim got off work, we went swimming at the hotel where Julies parents were staying. The pool was only five feet deep, but I loved it! I love water! I miss swimming and I'm somewhat jealous of my siblings Samantha and Ryan who are on the swim team. I wish I was that cool :)

Yesterday  was "Parents day" in my ward at church. I was surprised by how many people brought their parents. The ward was PACKED! It made me miss my parents so much! And on top of it all, it was Fast and Testimony meeting. I kept getting the prompting to share my testimony, which normally isn't a big deal for me, but I was a little shy in front of all the parents. It made me miss my own parents so much. Luckily I have an amazing ward that treats me like family.

Relief Society was amazing! Just what I needed. Here I was thinking I had such a bad week because of how stressed I was and having done poorly on two tests... apparently I wasn't the only one with a bad week. And in comparison, mine was a piece of cake compared to what other girls had to go through. It made me realize that I wasn't having the attitude that I needed to have. Alisha ( my relief society president) talked about how we should be our own personal cheerleaders. We need to look at life with a positive Attitude.  We need to have that confidence and Believe in ourselves! and when we get knocked down and have setbacks, we need to have the Courage to get back up and keep going. The ABC's of a happy life.

After church, my friend Kim invited Julie and I to join her and her family for the super bowl. I was grateful that she did because I was kind of dreading spending Sunday all alone while my roommates where at their families homes. ( Although Shelby's parents DID end up inviting me over after I received an invitation from Kim) They had delicious food and Kim's newborn nephew came. I have such a soft spot for babies! I'm sad I won't be around when Katrina has her baby girl. As far as the super bowl goes...I'm not a sports person. I don't know whats going on half the time, but I know enough to be able to follow the game. I always get shy in settings where everyone else knows whats going on and I'm the odd one out...so I was pretty quiet...but I still enjoyed myself :)


Well that's pretty much my week. I'll try to write sooner, because THIS life deserves to be remembered :)



Also...as a random side note...

 Since I've been back in Utah, I read the book Gone with the wind ( that my roommate Shelby was nice enough to let me borrow)...I had watched the movie a few years ago and the book has been recommended by quite a few people. To be completely honest, I wasn't a huge fan of  the book...I enjoy happy endings. But ever since I've read it I cant stop thinking about it. About how things could have gone differently, how they SHOULD have gone differently. I think about Scarlett and how her life revolved around pride and selfishness and money. I think about how she was constantly in search of love and throughout the whole book, she thought she was in love with someone, but she didn't really understand love until it was too late.

I think I had such a hard time with the book because I couldn't relate with Scarlett. Her decisions were the exact opposite of what I would have done. But with reflection, I've decided that that might just be the moral of the book. To NOT be like Scarlett. To live your life with love and selflessness and to not dwell on the past but to work towards the future. Anyway...those are just a few of my thoughts :)

No comments:

Post a Comment